Mariano Roy M. Duya, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor 5
Biology 117 (Vertebrate Biology)
Biology 263 (Terrestrial Ecology)
Biology 265 (Advanced Biogeography)
Mariano Roy M. Duya holds a Master’s degree in Wildlife Studies at the Institute of Biological Sciences, University of the Philippines Los Baños. He is taking up a Ph.D. in Biology (by research program) at the Institute of Biology, University of the Philippines Diliman. He is currently a faculty and a museum curator of the Wildlife Vertebrate Museum of the Institute of Biology. His research interest is on biogeography, ecology, and taxonomy of wildlife vertebrates, particularly on terrestrial mammals. He is currently working on understanding plant-bat interaction in tropical lowland forest and the impact of forest fragmentation and ecosystem services of fruit bats. As a senior biologist working with the Diliman Science Research Foundation Inc., he leads the project implementation and research focused on biodiversity assessments and monitoring of wildlife across the Philippines and building the capability of partner stakeholders for effective biodiversity monitoring. He is also involved in Long-term Ecological Research (ILTER) plots in the country, focusing on long-term ecological research on Philippine fruit bats. He also studies biology and works on the conservation of the Philippine Eagle, Tarsier, and small mammals among other key wildlife species in the Philippines. He has authored and co-authored local and international publications on Philippine wildlife. He is currently a member of the IUCN SSC Small Mammal Specialist Group and the Philippine RedList Committee (PRLC) of the DENR Biodiversity Management Bureau and Chairs the Philippine Mammal technical working group
Jay S. Fidelino(M.S. Biology)
Simeon Gabriel F. Bejar(M.S. Biology)
- Duya, M.R.M., L.R. Heaney, E.S. Fernando, P.S. Ong. In press. Fruit bat assemblage in different lowland forest types in the Northern Sierra Madre Mountains, Philippines. Acta Chiropterologica.
- Hogan JA, Zimmerman JK, Thompson J, Uriarte M, Swenson NG, Condit R, Hubbell S, Johnson DJ, Sun IF, Chang-Yang C-H, Su S-H, Ong P, Rodriguez L, Monoy CC, Yap S, Davies SJ. 2018. The frequency of cyclonic wind storms shapes tropical forest dynamism and functional trait dispersion. Forests 9:404.
- Bejar, S.G.F., M.R.M. Duya, M.V. Duya, J.M.M. Galindon, B.O. Pasion, P.S. Ong. 2020. Living in small spaces: forest fragment characterization and its use by Philippine tarsiers (Tarsius syrichta Linnaeus, 1758) in Mindanao Island, Philippines. Primates.
- Luczon A.U., SAMM Ampo, J.G.A. Rono, M.R.M. Duya, P.S. Ong, I.K.C. Fontanilla. 2019. DNA barcodes reveal high genetic diversity in Philippine fruit bats. Philippine Journal of Science 148(S1):121-128.
- Gonzalez, J.C.T., C. Layusa, L.E. Afuang, M.R. Duya, L.R. Heaney, D.S. Balete, D.G. Tabaranza, C.P. Española, WAC van de Ven, A.C. Diesmos, R.M. Causaren, and M.L.L. Diesmos. 2018. Review and update of the 2004 National List of Threatened Terrestrial Fauna of the Philippines Sylvatrop, The Technical Journal of Philippine Ecosystems and Natural Resources 28 (1): 73-144.
- Duya, M.R., J. Fidelino, & P. Ong. 2017 Spatial Heterogeneity of Fruit Bats in a Primary Tropical Lowland Evergreen Rainforest in Northeastern Luzon, Philippines. Acta Chiropterologica 19 (2), 305-318.
- Galindo, J. M. & B. Pasion, D. Tongco, Ma, J. Fidelino, M.R. Duya, and P. Ong. 2017. Plant diversity patterns in remnant forests and exotic tree species-based reforestation in active limestones quarries in the Luzon and Mindanao biogeographic sub-regions in the Philippines. Ecol Res (33): 63-72.
- Licuanan, A.M., M.R.M. Duya, P.S. Ong & IKC. Fontanilla. 2017. DNA barcoding, population genetics, and phylogenetics of the illegally hunted Philippine Duck Anas luzonica (Aves: Anseriformes: Anatidae). Journal of Threatened Taxa 9(5): 10141– 10150.
- Heaney, Lawrence Richard; Balete, Danilo S.; Duya, Mariano Roy M.; Duya, Melizar V.; Jansa, Sharon A.; Steppan, Scott J.; et al. (2016). Doubling diversity: a cautionary tale of previously unsuspected mammalian diversity on a tropical oceanic island. Frontiers of Biogeography, 8(2). fb_29667.
- Brown, Rm, Weghorst Ja, Olson Kv, Duya, M.R.M., Barley A.J., Duya, M.V., Shekelle, M.,Arboleda, I.N., Esselstyn, J.A., Dominy, N.J., Ong, P.S., Mortiz, G.L., Luczon, A., Diesmos, M.L.L., Diesmos, A.C., and Siler, C.D.2014. Conservation Genetics of the Philippine Tarsier: Cryptic Genetic Variation Restructures Conservation Priorities for an Island Archipelago Primate. PLoS ONE 9(8).
- Heaney, L.R., D. S. Balete. P. A. Alviola, M. R. M. Duya, and E.A. Rickart. 2013. The Small Mammals of Mt. Anacuao, Northeastern Luzon Island, Philippines: A Test of Predictions of Luzon Mammal Biodiversity Patterns. Journal of Nat. History National Museum of the Philippines, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1-13.
- Rickart, E.A., L. R. Heaney, D. S. Balete, P. A. Alviola, M. R. M. Duya, M. V. Duya, G. Rosell-Ambal, and J. L. Sedlock. 2013. The Mammals of Mt. Natib, Bataan Province, Luzon, Philippines. Journal of Nat. History National Museum of the Philippines, Vol. 1, No. 1, 31-44.
- Balete, D.S., E. A. Rickart, L. R. Heaney, P. A. Alviola, M. V. Duya, M. R., M. Duya, Timothy Sosa, and Sharon A. Jansa. 2012. Archboldomys (Muridae: Murinae) Reconsidered: A New Genus and Three New Species of Shrew Mice from Luzon Island, Philippines. American Museum Novitates, 3754: 1-60.
- Anticamara, J. A., P. O. Bonifacio, R. S. Gonzales, Duya, M.R. M. and P.S. Ong. 2012. Understanding High Altitude Reforestation in Mt. Apo, Philippines. Eurasian J. For. Res. 15- 1: 31-43.
- Siler, C.D., P. Alviola, R.D. Baniqued and M.R. Duya. 2012. Natural history notes on diet of Brachymeles boulengeri. Herpetological Review. 43(1):130.
- Duya, M. R. M., M. V. Duya, P. A. Alviola, D. S. Balete And L.R. Heaney 2011. Diversity of Small Mammals in Montane and Mossy Forests on Mount Cetaceo, Cagayan Province, Luzon, 88-95. In Heaney, L. R., ed., Discovering diversity: Studies of the mammals of Luzon Island, Philippines. Fieldiana: Life and Earth Sciences, 2
- Alviola, P. A., M. R. M. Duya, M. V. Duya, L. R. Heaney, And E. A. Rickart. 2011. Mammalian diversity patterns on Mount Palali, Caraballo Mountains, Luzon, pp. 61-74. In Heaney, L. R., ed., Discovering diversity: Studies of the mammals of Luzon Island, Philippines. Fieldiana: Life and Earth Sciences, 2.
- Balete, D. S., L. R. Heaney, P. A. Alviola, M. R. M. Duya, M. V. Duya, And E. A. Rickart. 2011. The mammals of the Mingan Mountains, Luzon: Evidence for a new center of mammalian endemism, pp. 75- 87. In Heaney, L. R., ed., Discovering diversity: Studies of the mammals of Luzon Island, Philippines. Fieldiana: Life and Earth Sciences, 2.
- Heaney, L. R., D. S. Balete, E. A. Rickart, P. A. Alviola, M. R. M. Duya, M.V. Duya, M. J. Veluz, and S. J. Steppan. 2011. Seven new species and a new subgenus of forest mice of the genus Apomys (Mammalia: Rodentia: Muridae) from Luzon Island, pp. 1-60. In Heaney, L. R., ed., Discovering diversity: Studies of the mammals of Luzon Island, Philippines. Fieldiana: Life and Earth Sciences, 2.
- Welton, L.J., C. D. Siler, D. Bennett, A. Diesmos, M. R. Duya, R. Dugay, E. L. B. Rico, M. Van Weerd and R. M. Brown 2010. A spectacular new Philippine monitor lizard reveals a hidden biogeographic boundary and a novel flagship species for conservation. Biol. Lett. published online 7 April 2010. doi:10.1098/rsbl.2010.0119.
- Brooks, T., M. Abuel, L. Co, O. Coroza, M.V. Duya, M.R. Duya, P. Langhammer, A. Mallari, C. Morales, N. Palomar, R. Rodriguez, B. Tabaranza, And R. Trono, 2004. Targets and Priorities for Biodiversity Conservation Globally, and in the Philippines. Agham Mindanaw, Volume 2, pp. 1-10.
- Duya, M.R., P.S. Ong, P.A. Alviola, and A.T. Antolin. 2003. Identifying Protected Areas in the Sierra Madre mountain range, Luzon Island, Philippines. In Building Lessons from the Field: Protected Area Management Experiences in Southeast Asia. Quezon City: Department of Environment and Natural Resources. Proceedings of the IUCN-World Commission on Protected Areas Third Southeast Asia Regional Meeting April 1-5, 2003.
- Ong, P.S., M.R. Duya, and M. Dg. Pedregosa. 1999. Wildlife of Subic Bay Forest: A Preliminary Report. Sylvatrop Tech. J. of Philipp. Ecosystems and Nat. Res. 7(1&2): 109 (Abstract)
- Ong, P.S., R.Pine and M.R. Duya. 1998. Wildlife Inventory of Panglao Island, Bohol. Sylvatrop. Sylvatrop Tech. J. of Philipp. Ecosystems and Nat. Res. (Abstract).
- Ong, P.S., M. Dg Pedregosa, M.R. Duya, N. Ibuna, M.H. Valenzuela, and R.E. Fernandez. 1997. Non- Volant Mammals of the Central Sierra Madre: Aurora and Northern Quezon Province. In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Science and Technology. Centennial Celebration and the 20th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Academy; Westin Philippine Plaza, Manila. July 8-9, 1998